As part of a recent £250,000 refurbishment PAVA Services were contacted to provide the Church with a new public address system. Primarily the public address will be for the broadcast of organ music since they no longer have a resident organist. In addition it will also be used for sound reinforcement from the vicars radio microphone and for small concerts.
The History of St Paul’s
In 1865 the old church that stood here was demolished, and work started on a new one, designed by Miles Thompson of Kendal. Renovations were carried out in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
In the churchyard is the ancient Irton Cross, which stands some 10 feet high and was erected in the early 9th Century, before the Danish & Norse invasions. This is one of the most important crosses in Cumbria, and unlike the one at St Mary’s Church Gosforth, bears no figures either human or animal.
The tower contains a peal of eight bells given by Sir Thomas Brocklebank, the shipping magnate, who set up the Brocklebank Shipping Co in Whitehaven.
There are many stained glass windows in the church, and two pairs of these are designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, and made by William Morris & Co. These show St Paul, The Tiburtine Sibyl, St Agnes with a lamb, and St Catherine of Alexandria.
The Public Address System
We carried out trials using Penton JD20T loudspeakers and found that the Church acoustic was remarkably good. In total six loudspeakers mounted, on the hammer beams, provide coverage for the body of the church. A further two boxes acting as monitors are used to provide coverage of the choir stalls. Amplification is via a Bosch PLE-1MA120.